Tuesday, September 13, 2011

NYC Temple trip giggle...er experience



2 weeks ago Aaron and I celebrated 12 years of wedded bliss.  We decided to celebrate by joining the Elders Quorum's temple trip and then stopping at the train diner on the way home. (at midnight) It took almost 3 hours to even get there because of traffic and Spence had to have a sleepover because we wouldn't be home until 2am. But once we got there the outside chaos and noise of the streets of NY turned to reverence and quiet.  It was from one extreme to the other. Awesome!
Then i noticed my light pink bra could be seen through my dress. I just figured with the slip i would be OK. BUT...I WASN'T! I was so embarrassed!  PLUS my knee high nylons kept falling down around my ankles every time i moved. I decided to just let it go. It was something out of my control now and i was missing what i came here for....The spirit. Once i did i was able to sit up straight and leave my nylons at my ankles and have one of the best sessions EVER. Then sitting in the Celestial room (nylons still at my ankles) with the man i chose to spend my eternity with made my initial embarrassement just seem silly. In fact, it made me giggle. It made Aaron giggle too. (thats another reason i married him)
Heavenly Father doesn't care about my nylons or what color my bra is. (He might suggest next time i wear a more appropriate color though) HE cares that we SHOWED UP. HE cares that we made the sacrifice to be there. I have to remember to get over what I think is embarrassing and pay attention to what matters the most so i don't miss the overal picture. I'm so glad i didn't let it ruin my temple trip and can giggle about it now.
The last time i was at the NYC temple my dad was back in the hospital so i was putting his name in every single prayer box i could find.  and now he's gone. When i saw a prayer box it made me miss him, but knowing my family will be together forever was a huge comfort. He would've loved my pink bra story and it would've made him laugh. i miss that laugh.

2 comments:

mk said...

Awesome. He is so proud of you going to the temple. I didn't need to read it alone. Seem to be crying about everything these days.

Morgan, Lindsay, Max and London said...

i could have used this for my lesson sunday! sweet about bill...makes me sad, too.