Wednesday, April 18, 2012

FLIP FLOP Incident

The other day Spence and i were headed home from karate when he rolled down his window and stuck out his foot (with flip flop).  I told him to please put his foot back in the window or he may loose the flip flop.  He did but then i hear crying and screaming in the backseat.  He did what i asked but then chose to put his foot back out the window and lost the flip flop.  There was nothing i could do. The traffic had picked up again at the green light and we had to move. So i took the opportunity to remind him that he made a choice to disobey his mom and the consequence was he lost the flip flop. He couldn't hear me through his cries almost to the point of hyperventilating.  After he calmed down i again talked to him about choice vs. consequence and i was really sorry he had lost his favorite flip flop.  A good opportunity for a little "life lesson."

TODAY...2 days later after the "flip flop incident"... I dropped him off at karate and then scoured the road in search of the flip flop. Not an easy task mind you since it's by an on/off ramp and it took me longer to loop back around than the actual road is.  I made it twice and found NOTHING.  I got out and looked through the brush and grass.  I even said a little short prayer to help me find it. 

After i picked Spence up i told him we'd try 1 more time but nothing... UNTIL out of the corner of my eye i saw a little blue flip flop in the median several  yards from where it had fallen.  I had no other choice but to get on the on ramp only to get back off  and circle back around.  I pulled over and tried to figure out what my options were.  I had to cross 2 lanes of traffic at the off ramp where it merged with the road.   It was passed the light so i had no idea who had the right away. When there was a break in traffic i made a run for it. Once i was at the median i looked back to see if any cars were coming and thankfully they weren't so i ran back.  I'm sure i was a comical sight to all those that saw me but i got the flip flop!!! Spence hugged it and may have even kissed it (?) i thought i would get praised with words of love and admiration but sadly ...NOTHING!  I AM going to change my ring tone on my phone back to Spencer telling me I'm the "BEST MOM EVER!" I've earned it!

We did have an additional talk about answers to prayers and no matter how small our Heavenly Father listens to us because he loves us!  ANOTHER great little "life lesson."

3 comments:

mk said...

This is SO awesome. You are an amazing mom!! I had a similar experience looking for a cell phone that went flying off the top of my car. Didn't find it. Didn't say a prayer. Thanks for sharing!

Morgan, Lindsay, Max and London said...

you ARE an amazing mom! what a good lesson for spence!!

Tricia said...

Fun story!